Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a complex developmental brain disorder that is characterized by delays in social interaction and communication as well as restricted or repetitive patterns of behavior. It is called a spectrum disorder because the severity and specific manifestations vary in each person.
There are a lot of things that we do not know about autism, such as the direct causes or exactly how much of the population is affected by autism. Thanks to advanced research, we are constantly learning more about the causes of and treatments for autism.
The following professionals can assess whether a person has an autism diagnosis:
- Developmental Pediatrician
- Pediatric Neurologist
- Child Psychologist
- Child Psychiatrist
There are several research-supported treatments that have proven to be helpful for individuals with autism, and more treatments are constantly being studied. KIDA offers the following therapy treatments:
- Behavior Therapy to increase desired behaviors and reduce maladaptive behaviors
- Occupational Therapy to develop fine motor, gross motor, and sensory skills
- Speech Language Therapy to enhance receptive and expressive communication
- Social Groups to encourage social interaction and effective communication with peers
Social groups are typically led by licensed Occupational Therapists, often along with Speech or Behavioral Therapists. There are a variety of groups for different ages (3 to 18 years) and developmental levels. Call us today at 949-222-2214 to find out more about the specific groups that we offer.
Yes, KiDA provide services in English, Arabic and Spanish.